Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Gala Glitzy Trees by Laura Fraedrich

This is the best time of year to stock up on supplies for next year’s holiday projects. I scored these funky wooden trees for about 70% off last year during the local craft store’s Christmas clearance sale. I didn’t know what I was going to do with them at the time, but I knew I’d turn them into something special eventually. An idea popped into my head when I came across them this year in my craft supply closet. It only took a few scrapbooking supplies and some Gala Glitz from the Art Glitter Institute (which, by the way, is my favorite product of theirs) to give these clearance items a new life!



Supplies Needed:

Wooden trees - mine came painted white already, but if yours didn’t, paint them using acrylic paints and let dry.
Two sizes of circle paper punches
Miscellaneous scrapbook paper
Collage medium (I used Collage Pauge)
1” sponge brush
Craft Glue (I used Tacky Glue)
Assorted sizes and colors of plastic buttons (about 20)
Designer Dries Clear adhesive
Gala Glitz in assorted colors (I used red, teal and lavender blue)
Assorted fibers or yarn
Small wooden blocks in various sizes
Ribbon


Instructions:

Punch out two sizes of circles out of your scrapbook papers. Cut out enough to cover most of the tree, leaving little bits of white showing through.

Using the sponge brush, apply a thin layer of collage medium to the tree and lay on the circles. Let dry, then repeat, adding more circles on another layer. When you are satisfied with your circles, apply one last layer of collage medium to seal.

Take the buttons and apply Designer Dries Clear adhesive to their centers, then sprinkle with Gala Glitz. Let dry. Leave some of the buttons plain.



Adhere the buttons randomly on the tree with craft adhesive. Use the largest buttons for the tree toppers.

Wrap several wooden blocks in scrapbook papers and glue into place with craft glue. Wrap ribbons around them and top with one or two tiny plastic buttons. Glue them to the base of the tree (if your tree came with a base).

Wrap a strand of fibers or yarn around the tree and adhere at both ends with a drop of craft glue.


2 comments: