Saturday, July 2, 2011

Glittered New 4th of July Pinwheels by Emily M. Miller



Oh the joys of 4th of July! I live on the busiest corner of small town U.S.A. And on the 4th of July there are all kinds of activities going on at the park next door. We’ve been there almost 20 years now, everyone knows that I put my pinwheels out every year and well…they’ve seen better days!



So my answer to all sprucing up problems? Art Glitter of course!

Materials:

Pinwheels

Scotch Tape

Art Glitter Ultrafine Opaque Glitter: #291 Fire Engine, #140 Canadian Blue

Art Glitter Ultrafine Pearlescent Glitter #189 Pearl

Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive (DDC)

Art Glitter Designer Dries White Adhesive (DDW)

Art Glitter Ultrafine Metal Tip

Paint Brush



Start by bending over the top pinwheel tips into the center and tape them into submission. Then paint glue (DDC) onto the 4 bottom ‘wings’ and glitter with Fire Engine Red. Let dry, take tape off.

Remove the circle disk at the end of the horizontal post and glitter it your choice of color. Set aside to dry.

Carefully glue (DDC) and glitter center of top pinwheel Canadian Blue. Let dry 10 min. or so and finished off ‘wings’ with Canadian Blue. Let dry.

The thing you want to be careful about is making sure you don't get glue on your center post. You want to make sure your pinwheel will still spin easily.

Do some brushing off of excess glitter at this point. That is if you don't want to pollute your pearl glitter with blue glitter like I did!

Then you can start drawing on designs with Designer Dries White adhesive, using the Ultrafine Metal Tip on your adhesive spout and fill in with Pearl glitter for a perfect sparkly white effect.

Now my only problem is I have to get 10 more of these done...now! Oh well, it will be worth it!



Just wanted to share an updated photo of my poor wagon I glittered 4 years ago. See it in our gallery when it was beautiful...http://www.artglitter.com/gallery/galEmilyMMillerGlitteredWagon.html So why am I showing this photo? Because this thing has been out in the Arizona sun, wind and elements for 4 years with virtually no shelter in the last two years and it still sparkles!

I promise to take better care of my pinwheels. Have a wonderful 4th!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. I like the way that you added designs to the pinwheel "blades"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I was influenced by your Tennie Shoes Laura. I decided not to care about being perfect and they are better than I dreamed they could be. You just have to go for it and trust your hands sometimes!

    ReplyDelete