Friday, January 7, 2011

Boxes of Boxes Birthday Present from Connie K.

Can you keep a secret?????

This is my third project for art glitter..but it is two fold...it is also a birthday gift for my girlfriend Polly...so shhhhh....don’t tell...her birthday is a few weeks away!


A few months ago I attended a workshop with Tim Holz...it was fabulous...of course...inky, eclectic, funky over the top fun...we made a curious curio cabinet...I knew immediately that I would want to make more of these...My head was spinning with the possibilities!

Polly loves all things vintage and birdies...so I had to include those two elements in her gift...I just know she is going to love it...

I used the the idea-ology configurations..if you haven’t seen them...well, they are basically boxes of boxes...so clever. I covered them with paper from 7 gypsies conservatory line.

The feet on the box are also from idea-ology...I love these..they are just so fun...actually I think they are kinda sexy....like little stilettos!


I also included a little glass knob on the top...

These are the supplies I used...you could change it up easily with what you may have at home...
ART GLITTER Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
ART GLITTER in the following colors:
Vintage Glass Glitter #611 Antique Silver
Ultrafine Opaque #32 True Blue
Ultrafine Transparent #158 Mellow Yellow
Ultrafine Transparent #89 Martini
configurations...ideaology
foundations..(metal feet)...idea-ology
paper..7 gypsies..conservatory 8X8 variety pack
tissue tape....idea-ology
reindeer moss
ribbon..may arts
vintage spools
vintage light bulb
vintage blocks
big button
birdcage charm...found this at Joann’s
eggs..were in my stash
small glass bottle/with bird seeds
large bird..Michaels in the clearance section last summer..(29 cents)
twigs..cut from a big bundle I bought@IKEA last year for crafting
trinket pin...... idea-ology
time piece..... idea-ology
black craft paint
matte medium


You will want to arrange the boxes to your liking...I covered the inside...backside, two sides & bottom...then taped the edges with the tissue tape. No need to cover the top inside it won’t show. I used a variety of paper and mixed it up a bit. The larger box with the bird has a few layered pieces that I adhered with with some foam tape. The feather in the upper right hand corner was cut from paper and adhered to a small wood block for some additional dimension...remember it is all about layering...

The bird was glittered with ART GLITTER Mellow Yellow, Martini & True Blue using Designer Dries Clear Adhesive...she is setting in a nest made from reindeer moss. The eggs in the box in the center row were altered using alcohol inks...the color I used was pool... included in this box a small bottle with bird seed. Vintage children's blocks are used in the center with Polly’s intials...she is going to love this! And then next to that is the vintage spools...I just picked out a couple that had thread that would coordinate with the colors..


In the lower left hand corner is the glittered birdcage..I used ART GLITTER Vintage Glass Glitter #611 Antique Silver...I can not get enough of this...I use it on everything.
Love the texture it give the birdcage...I suspended this with a tiny little eye-screw and jump ring...

The next little box has a little battery operated tea light...I cover with more of the tissue tap and then inked it up...you will love how this looks...


And finally a big ole vintage button...


You can see the possibilites are only limited by your imagination..
The outside of the box was cover with more paper and tissue tape then distressed with black craft paint...once dry, I sealed it with matte medium. Attach the feet with a glue gun and added the bow to the knob.

I hope you enjoyed seeing Polly’s birthday gift...and remember to keep it s a secret for a few more days...

No comments:

Post a Comment