Saturday, December 11, 2010

O Sparkle Christmas Tree by Connie K.

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

Hello...my name is Connie K. and this is my first project for Art Glitter as a guest designer…but by no means is it my first project using Art Institute Glitter...I am usually sparkly everyday…

I wanted to make a Christmas project that was fun and had some vintage elements in it…I love to use re-purposed objects in my designs and try to included them in any of my projects when possible.


Most of these items are easily found where ever you may live…
So here we go! Gather up your supplies..

Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
Art Glitter Metal Tip

Art Glitter Ultrafine Transparent …
89 Martini
Art Glitter Vintage Glass Glitter …
611 Antique Silver
18 inch paper mache cone
8 inch chipboard circle
10 inch scalloped cake circle…Wilton
6 large chip board snowflakes…Maya Road
22 gauge silver wire
3 rhinestones
Folk Art Acrylic paint white
1 ½ inch wide ribbon about a yard
Glimmer Mist Tattered Angels …pearl
Color Box Chalk Ink … creamy brown
Decorative Garland..found at Michaels
Vintage Ornament
Ivory crepe paper (vintage)
Vintage Wall Paper
Glue gun for assembling all the pieces
Liquid adhesive for the wall paper..I used Beacons 3 in one


I first covered my cone in the vintage wall paper...you could use scrap book paper, or anything you have in your stash...even heavy weight wrapping paper would work great.

I then painted both of the chipboard foundation pieces and the snowflakes with Folkart acrylic paint and set them aside to dry. The edges of the snowflakes were distressed with Color Box Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown. Once they were dried I lightly misted the snowflakes and chipboard bases with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Pearl. I love this color..gives a nice pearlized glow to everything…swoon.

Next, you’ll want to thread two pieces of wire through the top of the cone ...first pierce a small hole at the very top…we will be attaching the snowflakes to these in awhile.


Adhere the cone to the smaller of the chip board circles and then both of them to the large scalloped edge piece. I used a glue gun for both.

Cut a piece of crepe paper about 24 inches long…glue to the base of the cone with liquid adhesive, gathering as you go. Once this is in place you can edge this ruffle with Art Glitter Vintage Glass Glitter in #611 Antique Silver. I used the Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive, with the Art Glitter Metal Tip...fabulous…You will be raving about this…it really is fabulous!

Now it is time to start embellishing with Art Glitter.

I used the Art Glitter Ultra Fine Transparent in #89 Martini on the snowflakes and the circular bases. Brush on Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive with a foam brush and sprinkle on the Art Glitter. Once the snowflakes are dry, I went back and added some of the Art Glitter in #611 Antique Silver...on the tips of the snowflakes. You can adhere a big rhinestone in the center of each snowflake for extra blingage!

One snowflake gets adhered to the top of the cone on the front and the other from the backside. Attache the other snowflakes to the two wires pulled through the top of the cone…with the wire sandwiched in between.

I found a piece of garland at Michaels that I liked, and cut it in pieces to add around the base…I found it was easier using smaller pieces than wrestling with a long unruly one. This was glued in to place with my glue gun...


The reindeer was a vintage ornament I had in my stash, it was silver plastic... not really enough wow factor for me...so I glammed it up using Art Glitter Vintage Glass Glitter in Antique Silver, adhered with Art Glitter Designer Dries Clear Adhesive. Now that’s more like it!

I then added a bow... that picked up the colors in the garland and paper I used... added a little more Art Glitter Antique Silver Vintage Glass Glitter to the edges and some on the leaves of the garland. I am loving this...

I hope you enjoyed this project and make something sparkle today…

1 comment:

  1. This is just stunning! Connie you have done a beautiful job, I love it! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Wonderful tutorial.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete